That makes little to no sense. All that will accomplish is increasing the unused addresses held by those that don’t need them while limiting the ability of those that need addresses to acquire them from those that have them available.

I’m not one for abandoning needs-basis, nor am I in favor of hoarding, but this proposal ignores the historical realities of the internet and the current addressing situation.

Further, continuing to contort ourselves around the ability to pretend that IPv4 can somehow be sustained is folly. We are long past the point that we should realize that we need a larger address space. For better or worse, v6 is what we have available and the sooner we can progress towards sufficient v6 deployment and the retirement of v4, the better off we will all be.

Even Amazon is (finally) publishing AAAA records now, so we are getting closer to the day when eyeball networks can start treating v4 as optional.

It’s time to ask sites like Ali Baba, 163, and ten cent to get off the dime. It’s especially pathetic in tencent’s case because their front end is already Akamai where all they have to do is opt in. Akamai will deliver v6 on behalf of their v4 backend.

Owen