RaiMan proposed the following answer:
--- As I was running this from the IDE, I stopped the run with shift alt c
long running scripts should always be run from command line using
sikuli-script.jar / .cmd
Now with 1.0.1 you can use sikuli-ide.jar/ .cmd as well from commandline using
the -r parameter. This directly delegates to the script run level and avoids
the initialization of the IDE.
When using abort key in IDE it heavily depends on the state the script is in,
wether the IDE is still useable after this.
I always recommend, to restart the IDE.

--- loop range3 lasts longer over the time
Is it possible, to have a look at the real script or is it restricted?
It always helped me, to see the real stuff to get nearer to problems.