Geoff Bache posted a new comment:
---- first parameter character missing
I can confirm that the first parameter character missing problem is now fixed.
So the setup with providing the whole command line to the constructor now works.

---- subsequent app.focus() doesn't work
Unfortunately, the problem we set out to solve here doesn't work either though
in this setup. I get an app object back, but "app.focus()" does not work later
on when I try to return focus to the application after throwing up a dialog. As
described before, the title of the app has changed by this point. No error is
received, it just doesn't change the focus. Exactly as with the original setup
where I created "app" via App.focus("initial title").

--- startup time regression
I'm not using the IDE, just the API jar. The additional time is taken between
the app coming up and the first command (typing in the user name to the login
dialog) being executed.

--- setUsing not working
Yes, that works, and it also works with the whole command line being sent to
the app constructor as above. I don't need this to work now though as the
constructor set up is just as good for my purposes.