RaiMan proposed the following answer:
The Java version does not matter in this case.

I will again check, but currently I have no idea, why the elapsed times on your
side are all doubled against my situation.
I cannot really imagine, that this is because you use Jython 2.5.3 (I use 2.5.4
and 2.7.0)

That the Alt-F4 does not work in all cases is surely a timing problem.
a short wait(0.5) before should fix that.

You can get rid of the startup addon time by using
app = App.open(....)

... but this does not check the process list and opens a new app
instance in all cases (as did 1.0.1 and 1.1.0 until I revised this
feature in 2015-05).