Geoff Bache posted a new comment:
The good news: the Chrome based test script now works for me.
The bad news: my app still doesn't.  Same symptoms as before. "print app" does
not help.

I wondered about trying to use app.window() instead of
App.focusedWindow() as a workaround to find the correct window to search
in even when the app was not in focus, but that seems to largely return
nonsense for me. It also seems to retain window references there long
after they have ceased to be visible.

Here's what it returned, when my app has 1 active window, filling the
whole screen (1920x1200). Note that also it doesn't return None at all,
but keeps returning the same window if you keep increasing the index.

0 R[104,104 943x89]@S(0)[0,0 1920x1200] E:Y, T:3,0
1 R[346,334 815x495]@S(0)[0,0 1920x1200] E:Y, T:3,0
2 R[346,334 815x495]@S(0)[0,0 1920x1200] E:Y, T:3,0
3 R[346,334 815x495]@S(0)[0,0 1920x1200] E:Y, T:3,0