I tried to use a previously working script today.
The scripts starts out by typing the 'p' key.

So I opened the program I wanted to script to act on, started the script and
made sure the focus was on the correct window.
After a few moments I received an error (because the 'p' never registered in
the window so the next step couldnt be found)

Even though sikuli was telling me it pressed 'p' the program wasn't 'receiving'
it for whatever reason.

I tested a few times and finally opened a .txt document and ran the script
again. Sure enough, Sikuli immediately typed 'p' into the  .txt document.

So the question is - what might cause a previously working script to fail on a
windowed .exe file but run fine in other things (a .txt file)?