Actually normally, there is a certain percentage that is reserved for the
employ stock pool (between 10-20 from what Ive seen before).  Also these are
common stock so that employees are incentivised purely on building the value
of the company.

While 0.02 (to 0.2) is quite common, it boils down the how much value you
see the employee adding to the company and also vice versa.  Ie what the
valuation for the company is and what the risk/reward profile of that 0.02
(or 0.2 for that matter)% "buys" from the employee's perspective.

Now that is just from what what ive observed and heard, but never have had
the fortune of implementing it real life.  So Il let the real entrepreneurs
and founders who have been there and done that talk :D

cheers
Sri

--
Blog: http://panyam.wordpress.com