As i'm sure we are all aware, many tech startups never list (althought the
public appetite for this may change over the next few years) and for that
matter may not be bought by a public company.

With this in mind, it is interesting to consider how your options/stock are
executed/valued/redeemed when a startup is acquired by a another private
company.

Also consider an outcome where the startup matures and acheives a high level
of profitability. The founders may not desire a sale of the company. What
happens to employee options then? (I have no idea)

In this scenario, a x% ownership maybe be an attractive ongoing bonus scheme
for early employees.

That said, there are other ways to motivate key employees apart from
ownership (autonomy, titles, lifestyle, flexible hours, OS travel, cool tech
toys and lots of widescreen monitors, company working holidays eg beach in
summer, snow in winter - company dinners and events etc)

>From my experience, the key people who have helped us build companies in the
past cared more about lifestyle and working on interesting work than options
and equity. But your right in thinking you will never get those key
entrepreneurial types on your startup if you dont have equity on the table -
that said, most of these ppl are working on their own startups anyhow :)

Thanks for stimulating the discussion.

Nick