On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Chris Miles <miles.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > We're thinking about running Ubuntu Linux on a VPS in the USA with
> > > 294MB RAM - I doubt we'd get more than 100+ users/day for the first
> > > few months and we'd be doing well to get 1000+ users/day.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on ramping up & scalability would be appreciated :D
> >
> > Um yeah.
> >
> > Tip: Plan ahead.
> >
> > Don't think you can just trivially "scale" something. Plan it in. And
> > your plan should not be solely "buy more servers".
>
> Or, http://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch04_Scale_Later.php

That is unwise advice. But of course it is relevant to consider what
sort of impact it will have on your customers. But if you aren't
planning about that anyway you're pretty much screwed. It goes without
saying that you should plan for what is reasonable.

Regardless, if you haven't designed well then you're flat-out screwed.
Last you'll hear from me on this matter.

--
noon silky
http://www.boxofgoodfeelings.com/