On 23/01/2009, at 12:30 PM, silky wrote:
> Younger kids, python/ruby/php types may like it, but it doesn't sit
> well with me.

You needed to add "GET OFF MY LAWN, YA YOUNG WHIPPER-SNAPPERS!" to
complete the image. So close.

Out of interest, what do you think of GoodBarry's website & corporate
image in general? Do you think it's childish and unprofessional? You
said you wouldn't dream of acting any differently to your normal self
on this mailing list, perhaps the same can be said for GoodBarry and
their corporate identity? Not only are their job advertisements
playful, so is their entire website! While that might seem abrasive to
you, it gels very well with me ( pity I'm not a .NET developer ;-) ).

I think we just belong to different generations - I belong to a newer
generation of "developer" who don't really mind what we're called.
"Software engineer" certainly doesn't describe what I do, since if
that's all I did then why would I be subscribe to a startup and
business-focused mailing list? It's hard to imagine vibrant young
companies wanting "software engineers" anymore; they can just as
easily find themselves someone who's creative and technically /
business savvy.

Cheers,

Nathan de Vries // nathandevries.com