morning

happy oz day / sorry for the invasion day / kun hei fat choi

taking a couple of minutes and delurk after joining a 3 days ago.

born in lima, trained in economics, my early (and perhaps only) tech
cred is to
a) be around when things that have become already history were being
launched and/or
b) computing with extinct practices like using punchcards, writing in
basic, 5 1/4 floppy disks and things maybe you have only seen in
museums.

on arrival to Australia i started working for ibm's pc division, and
when the job got too cushy and felt like heading home everyday at 4pm,
I moved into tech operations running the website for morgan and banks.
a core part of the job was to ensure the apache server did not crash
when it was processing job applications, so I have fond memories of
glasses of wine being drunk in cool rooms babysitting servers.

the ops role ended up being a interactive product role of sorts with a
marketing slant, so I ended up managing teams of developers and
marketeers which was a very cool thing from a mentoring, people
development side.

nowadays i have a tech-slanted marketing consulting practice that
(hopefully) helps recruiters be better marketeers and users of tech
(other than just plastering job ads on boards). on the side, I also
have a couple of ecommerce plays, am a founder of a couple of firms
and have a very -very- small fund to invest where i feel it can pay
off. I guess I am always looking for a job / a project

look forward to a bit of interaction from beachers

have a great rest of the day