Hi Pia,

haven't had a chance to read the subscription, but could you outline
the role of local councils in the delivery of broadband ?

There is a reason i ask.  Let me explain...

We recently relocated back to Oz late last year and have taken up
residence in a town just outside of Melbourne (for now anyway).  We
are only about 30min drive to the center of town.  BUT..

This area has had a lot of development, in fact there are over 5000
new houses planed over the next few years.  Where we live are 100's
(maybe 1000's) of new homes (ie. less than 5 years of age).  But non
of them have access to ADSL2.  Only ADSL1.  I infact I live less than
1 KM from 2 major switchs (has a pile of optical running into them).
At the moment they service 3G towers.  But no one in the town (thats a
few thousand people)  can access any of this new tech ?  And I live in
a house less than 1 year old. In fact they are just building the last
house in my street. My suburb is basically brand new.  And NO ADSL2.
Why ?

All the houses have been wired up in what is known as (I always get
this back the front, so if i do, excuse me for not being a sparky) a
PAIR GAIN configuration - from wikipedia - "pair gain is a method of
transmitting multiple POTS signals over the twisted pairs
traditionally used for a single traditional subscriber line in
telephone systems. Pair gain has the effect of creating additional
subscriber lines".

So adsl2 needs 2 POTS but someone - don't know if its telstra or the
developer - have wired up 1000's of new homes in a manner that STOPS
the deliver of high speed broadband.  The infrastructure is here.  The
optical is here.  Just all the houses have been wired up in a manner
that NO ONE can get it.  Instead we are being offered ADSL1 (or high
end ADSL is available ie. 8M) or 3G (which just doesn't work).

So whats my point?  I suspect this is probably pretty rampant.  Why
are councils allowing this?  Who is responsible.  We are about to
spend billions , but what are we doing to leverage all these new
developments ?  why are telephone services being provided to new
developments in a manner that will not connect us to the current
decade ?  What provision is being made in the new proposal to engage
councilors and developers to help build this network ?