Hi Samuel,

I know you said up-front that your email was going to be a rant, but I
think you need to take a deep breath and consider for a moment that
not everyone thinks your ideas are as valuable as you do. Ideas are a
dime-a-dozen unless you can bring them to life, and you've said
yourself that you don't have the technical expertise to create your
all-powerful Twitter index. It's also not fair to take pot-shots at
other startups on a start-up focused mailing list, especially when
you're not giving them the opportunity to defend themselves against
your "suspicions".

Oh, and Twitter probably supports Unicode because they understand that
their service might appeal to non-English speaking countries, which
consists of more people than those who want to search for "20%".
Adding to this, your email implies that unicode content cannot be
searched, but that's clearly not true:

   http://search.twitter.com/search?q=脳カベ

If you think you can provide a more flexible search service with a
more powerful search index, including the infrastructure to keep it
running, Twitter allows you to do so via their publicly available
"spritzer" stream API. If your service is deemed worthy, you'll get
access to the "firehose" API. This is precisely how Summize built
their product, which was subsequently acquired and made part of
Twitter's main offering.

In short: if you think you've got such a great idea, go do it.

Cheers,

Nathan de Vries