On 24/06/2009, at 12:11 PM, Dylan Jay wrote:

> I agree with Michael here. Don't underestimate the effort it takes
> to successfully "shepherd" a product and create a community. The
> true benefits of opensource come from community contributions and to
> create a community you need a product which is easy for others to
> integrate with or is so in demand that others are willing to make it
> easy to integrate asap. It's no different to any other kind of
> business, you need to understand your market.

I'll add a bit of context behind my comments.

We're an community open source integration business. That means we
supply services around an open source product which is built by a
global community (Plone.org). We've released plugins and extensions to
Plone in the past.
Initially we released those without giving it much thought thinking if
someone finds it useful then great. But we've come to realise it's
strategically important for us to have those plugins as open source as
it gives us credibility with our customers and also merit within the
community. The catch however is that if they aren't used or are bad
quality then it may be giving us a bad name rather than a good name.
The other catch is that when others do get interested in contributing
you need to have processes in place for managing that in order to keep
that merit high. Source control, bug tracking, code review, release
process all run different when your dealing with the public and all
take time.
Our latest releases have take more of our time for these reasons. For
us this is worth it. For others it might not be.

The other thing to consider is if you want to keep control of your
product. It's much harder to grow a community if the community can't
contribute back.