I'm perhaps not your typical start-up in that we are reasonably well
funded (self) before we get going, I've spent a bit of time talking
with the accountants and looking at corporate structures.

We've ended up with 2 companies - BinaryPlex and BinaryPlex Holdings,
shares in BinaryPlex are owned by a family trust and shares in
BinaryPlex Holdings are owned by a unit trust.  There are lots of very
good reasons for doing this, many of which offer tax advantages,
future sales / exit advantages, capital raising, offering equity, tax
effectiveness, ability to offer shares only in the assets we want to
share, ability to consult without risk to our asset etc.

For my 2 cents worth, if you're serious, do it seriously.  I'm not
leaving my career and salary just for fun (ok partly for fun), we
intend to build a successful and profitable business.  Money spent now
is a good investment for the future - yes it is a "waste" if you fail,
but it will pay for itself many times over if your venture takes off.

It's also worth noting that approaching 40, with 2 kids, a mortgage
and other investments I have a lot more to lose and perhaps more
options (if you have no family, a trust might not be helpful) - this
is where an accountant can give you excellent advice - your advice
should be for you and tailored by someone that understands your
personal situation, your obligations and risks and can advise you
accordingly.

I strongly recommend you spend the $300 it will cost to get some
excellent advice on a good structure and why you should do it, even if
you do proceed to set it up yourself.  Depending on the structure and
if you choose to do it yourself or have them do it for you, you are
then looking at probably something like between $1,200 - $6,000
depending on the complexity, number of entities etc. etc.

Cheers,

Tim