Not sure on innovation in Perth. But the numbers you provide is resources
driven and not really innovation per se.

I face the same problem in Adelaide. I have stopped thinking about in now
though. Online is my social place and the world is there to network. How does
it matter what happens and does not happen in the local area.

Cheers
Suhit