Good to see Andrew, hope it goes well, though I'll still be o/s and
won't be able to make it.

Not sure if you're aware but Silicon Beach drinks was running in
Melbourne fortnightly for the latter part of last year, but didn't get
enough momentum and at the start of this year the decision was made to
shelve it for the time being.  It might be worth talking to guys like
Pieter Peach, Erik Unger and Ross Hill about where it went wrong.

I chatted with Pieter a month or two ago about the idea of
resurrecting it, but we agreed there were already enough events going
on between Jelly (which has a drinks session afterwards), Social Media
Breakfasts, The Hive (general-entrepreneurship-focused but popular for
web/tech startup founders) and Mobile Mondays.  We also put on a Y-
Combinator-themed event at the start of October as a web-startup-
focused meetup, and got a great turnout and strong enthusiasm for
making it a regular event.

The good news is that there seems to be a vibrant tech startup scene
taking shape in Melbourne, and there's a variety of ways for people to
interact.  And whilst I'm all for anyone starting something new, you'd
probably have more success by looking at the events that are already
happening and making sure your event complements them.

While I'm at it I should put in a plug for The Hive, which for their
final event of the year on Tues Nov 24th is presenting Tony Wheeler of
Lonely Planet.  The Hive has become the leading entrepreneurs event in
Melbourne, with regular attendances of over 120 people from across the
entrepreneurship community, and this talk by one of Melbourne's
greatest entrepreneurship success stories should make for a terrific
finale to the year.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting some time when I get back to Melb in
December.

All the best,
Tom
http://twitter.com/tomhoward