Great conversation. Thought I might be able to provide some background
of what we're doing.

Let's forget about twitter for the moment.  I'd prefer to leave it to
historians to make a judgement on whether twitter is providing value
or not. As Tim has mentioned, we're using twitter as a data source so
that we could tune our engine and demonstrate the engine's potential
via 'real, live, massive' amount of data.  We are not married to
twitter and within weeks, we could deliver a Twendly for blog, Twendly
for Confluence, Twendly for exchange so on and so forth.  What's
important here is what the underlying engine can do.  Data is only a
skin deep.

Let's also forget about consumer vs. enterprise play for now.  Windows
has home edition as well as site licenses.  Quicken has QucickBook and
Quicken as well.  I firmly believe that the problem we're solving
exists on both side of the firewall. It's just a matter of given our
experiences and resources which direction we're best positioned to
attack first.

Let's focus on what's the problem we're trying to solve:

We are helping people to find each other.

#1. We're not a "information search engine" like Google or Autonomy.
We find people instead of content.  Of course we'll provide a preview
of the content for one search result, but it's only for 'prove to me'
purpose.
For example, if you search for
http://twendly.com/?q=siliconbeach+"lifeguard+paper";,
you will find 5 people who are talking about "Lifeguard paper" at
almost the same time. If you click into any of them, you could see
what they were talking about.
People first, timeline, historical info are all secondary.  ( Tim's
famous "People Centric Software" idea. )

#2. We're not a 'real time people search engine'. We believe in the
value of aggregated historical data.
A good example here is a search for "Tiger Woods":
http://twendly.com/?q="tiger+woods";
Now if you are looking for someone who tweets more golf than gossip,
you'll definitely give #5 a try since the rests are obviously
interested more in celebrity than sports.

#3. We're not a 'content aggregator'. We might need to bring in
contents from multiple sources, call it 'break down the asymmetric
info wall", or 'bridge the silos' or 'identity fragmentation', that's
only our crawler's mission, not ours. :0)  Ours is to apply a "people
search" on top of all the bits and try to make sense of it.

#4. Our current goal is to help people to find "influencers" and
"connectors" within a community. ( The Tipping Point, anyone? )  The
whole internet could be one community, this google group could be one,
a 300-employee company or a 150,000-people corporation all can be
treated as a community.  As long as there are people, there are needs
to find each other, to connect.

Having said all these, the engine still needs significant improvements
on both accuracy and scalability.  We're still trying to find our
first beachhead. Please give twendly.com 5 minutes, play around with
it and share with us your answer to this question:

What does Twendly.com enable you to do?

Cheers,
Alex