> > #4. Our current goal is to help people to find "influencers" and
> > "connectors" within a community. ( The Tipping Point, anyone? )  The
> > whole internet could be one community, this google group could be one,
> > a 300-employee company or a 150,000-people corporation all can be
> > treated as a community.  As long as there are people, there are needs
> > to find each other, to connect.
>
> so who needs to find "connectors" and how badly do they need it?

Think about a consulting firm like PwC that discovers an audit client needs
help setting up a share option scheme, which is an expertise buried in
another division. As the organisation is so big, the chances of
organisational networking is capped and so if the lead partner of this audit
client doesn't know PwC has someone or can do work on share options, this
means opportunity cost. The cross-selling of services is what all
professional services firms think about as a way of growth - you get a
client and you try to make as much marginal dollars on them as possible from
the initial relationship. It's a easier way for growth than tendering for a
new client.

As a firm, PwC "can do anything" to quote one of the head partners when I
chatted with him once, but the problem is trying to locate the expertise
when it's needed because it's such a big firm. That's why there is an entire
database where you can look up someone's expertise...but despite being
involved when this thing rolled out (and knowing the versions before it), I
can speak for it and say it's not really that effective. No doubt this has
influenced Tim as he was PwC's leading IT architect. It's a real problem,
where approaches to solving it haven't really worked.

And if it's such an obvious issue, and the current solutions don't work, why
isn't it a fixed problem with more money and attention? Because it needs
innovation. And this problem is a classic case where innovation can't
happen. My perspective at PwC is that you had the IT guys who got tech but
not business needs (or rather, the ability to fund innovative solutions as
they need the revenue-generating staff to demand it); and the practice staff
who had pain points but didn't know of ways to fix it or how (it's hard to
demand something that you don't know exists).

So there is a dead lock of innovation in big companies like PwC, which has
technology being dictated on a roadmap defined by major vendors like IBM, as
they are formalised relationships. And there are plenty of smart people at
Microsoft and IBM, but...I can't say it matches with what the start-up
community can come up with, as they don't have the same restraints.

There are however other needs to extend the need for finding connectors
- Marketers and PR professionals: So they can get into the Word of Mouth
circles
- Journalists: to find additional leads or people that can get them to it
- HR: to understand the informal networks that rule the company outside of
the formal hierarchy
- Knowledge management: to find the people that have the 'soft knowledge'

But the first one, is enough. Think of any law firm, accounting firm,
consulting firm, or any "people-centric" organisation that makes money from
selling expertise. Once you hit Dunbar's number, you've a need for expertise
location in that organisation.