An update and a request for some advice from anyone on the list who's
dealt with an LLC and Tax Identification Number issues in the US.

Update:
We've found there are three ways to charge in $US and have the money
come back to Australia without registering any sort of US presence or
opening a US bank account.
1. Go with NAB - they're the only Australian bank that can provide you
with a multi-currency merchant account. As has been covered here
before, this isn't exactly great value for a number of reasons, mostly
price and surety related.
2. Set up an EU equivalent of an ABN, and then you'll find a bunch of
banks who are more competitive, and will happily provide a merchant
account that takes money in $US and has it deposited into your AU bank
account. Still getting down to details on fees and affordability vis a
vie the NAB option.
3. Go with a "Reseller", someone like Plimus of Fastspring. Their %
rates are much higher than you'll pay for a gateway, but because
they're "reselling" your product/service, they do all the work and
they'll happily wire the money to your Cayman Islands account in time
for you to buy another Pina Colada. Reportedly, though, Plimus hold
back some money in case people run chargebacks on you.

Another option of course is to get a US entity, bank account, and tax
identification number.

Advice request:
>From what I've read at sites like http://www.incnow.com/faq.shtml, the
costs of incorporating an LLC in Delaware are pretty minimal. The
annual francise tax and filing fees are just a bit over $100. Having a
Delaware LLC will allow you to open a bank account in the business
name, and then get your own Merchant account. Outfits like
Authorize.net charge bugger all (in magnitude and percentage) for this
sort of arrangement.

Big question/risk: I'm worried about the real/hidden costs associated
with this, specifically filing fees and tax stuff with the IRS. While
Delaware might be cheap, the IRS scares me. We're planning on using
this LLC just to receive payments, and then wire them back to the
Australian bank account of the business. The LLC wouldn't actually
"trade", but I'm worried that the IRS will hit us up for tax, and then
the ATO will hit us up a second time.

Has anyone on the list got any experience or IAMYL advice they can
provide?