From: silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com
[mailto:silicon-beach-austra...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Renai LeMay
Sent: Tuesday, 9 November 2010 12:26 AM
To: Silicon Beach Australia
Subject: [SiliconBeach] Re: This week in startups - Sydney

Seriously -- on TWIST he's a lovely guy ... but realistically, he
would not hesitate to defend his trademarks. Frankly, unless you have
a licence (and I'm happy to rescind my comments if there is a
licensing arrangement here), advertising that you are bringing "the
This Week in Startups concept to Sydney" is asking for a cease and
desist letter.

This Week in Startups is a property of Jason Calacanis. Can you
imagine if someone started a website called "TechCrunch Australia" to
"bring the TechCrunch concept to Australia"? Arrington's lawyers would
be all over that like flies on a dead dog. And as soon as Calacanis
discovers this, he will be too. It's not like he doesn't keep an eye
on Australia -- I know people who communicate with him.

I'm sorry -- I'll do everything I can to help the startup community in
Australia. But I won't link to TWIST Sydney unless it changes its name
to something which is not going to get them the guys -- and anyone
else who happens to be around and involved. There are just some things
you don't do -- and nicking someone's brand and appending "Sydney" to
it is one of them.

The site even advertises that it's based on a Calacanis property:

"After being inspired by the ThisWeekIn Startups web show hosted by
Jason Calacanis, two Sydneysiders decided to create their own local
version."

Any lawyer would have a field day with this.

Renai

Leo Perez & myself are bringing the This Week in Startups concept to
Sydney
> (Actually a cross between This Week in Venture Capital & This Week in
> Startups).