I don't think there's a big enough difference between Melbourne or
Sydney in the startup space to base a decision on that criteria - pick
the one you feel a better affinity with.  Having come from neither and
lived in both, we chose Melbourne over Sydney for the lifestyle,
affordability and family reasons, but it's personal preference.  To be
fair, 13 years after we moved here, the affordability issue is out the
window - both are pretty much as expensive as each other for housing
and rentals.

There is plenty of activity and awesome people in the start-up space
in both cities.

You won't regret either.

Good luck