Hi guys.

Thanks for all your replies.  It's good to know that there is quite a
bit happening, and that there seems to be a good bit of collaboration
going on which is great.

I love Australia having lived there for a year back in 1999, and
visiting again last year. The reason I was asking about Mel vs Sydney
was to do with having to apply for a state sponsored visa...so even
though it'll be probably 2 years until I can get over (waiting lists
etc), I need to make a decision now on living in Victoria or NSW.  I
lived in Sydney when I was there before (and loved it), and my
girlfriend has lived in Melbourne for a year (and loved it!), so as
you can imagine there's a bit of a debate going on!

More than likely it's looking like Victoria because we have some
contacts in Melbourne, but I wanted to make sure there was at least
some good groups meeting up there.  I'm on my second startup (on the
side...I learnt the hard way not to jump until you've got traction!)
and I find it makes a big difference if there are groups meeting, and
a bit of a buzz, to keep you going (not to mention meet others who
have better ideas than yourself and need help!).

So, once again thanks to you all, and best of luck in your own
endevours.  I'll keep an eye on the group.  If I eventually get a
visa, I hope to meet some of you in person when I get over.

Regards,
Cormac.