On 24/01/2011, at 1:48 PM, Jonathan Clarke wrote:

@Dylan,

Install Rapportive: http://rapportive.com/, hover over an email in Gmail and you can then see their twitter account, linkedin + much more.

nice. but I use mac mail not gmail :(

It definitely improves the conversation for me anyhow,

Jonathan

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Dylan Jay <d...@pretaweb.com> wrote:
On 21/01/2011, at 10:06 AM, Elias Bizannes wrote:

I created the Silicon Beach mailing list is to help connect the community. By understanding who exists, and to help build rapport.

So whatever helps with that I think is valid. But yes I agree, it should be more about ideas (how to we fix the industry; how is my product idea in the context of this trend) than things specifically (hey, let me spam you with my job/product/event).

Personally I see nothing wrong with discussing specific business ideas. These are some of the best conversations I've had at the SB drinks. You can learn a lot from reading the advice of others more experienced than you, even if its for a very different industry than your own. Beats conjecture about things like NBN which in the end after we've all given our opinion, not many people have enough knowledge to know how it will really turn out.

Might be worth noting that your reputation is what you post. Some people here I have incredible respect, others I want to shoot in the head -- but we've kept this an open forum with minimal moderation and its worked. That to me is the real value -- which ties to the point of understanding who exists and build connections.

It would be nice if people self censored themselves by aiming to post less comments than those with more actual experience in business that them... but oh well the cost of openness I guess.

In an ideal world it would be great to have everyone's linkedin profile or similar in their tagline to help us each judge for ourselves the worth of what someone is saying.

Dylan Jay
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=4296227

Elias Bizannes
http://eliasbizannes.com