On 12/03/2011, at 11:41 AM, Geoff Langdale wrote:

From the article:  ... There is no expectation they will become real
companies.
"We've had incubators offer to give automatic entry to startups
created on the bus. But I've said that's a stupid idea. What makes
more sense is to give people the
experiences and lessons they have learnt on the bus. If they make a
series of bad judgments, they won't make the same mistakes again." ...

Something that springs to mind for all the camps, buses, etc.:

If you don't make a 'real company', how will you know a bad judgment
from a good one? You might learn what impresses a panel of experts at
SXSW or wins a geek popularity contest, but ultimately the market will
have its own idea about how good your idea was, for better or worse.

This may be a naive question, but why not find out?

I agree you don't learn many important lessons that you do by making a real business. but I think you do learn the power of focus and momentum and most important action over inaction/pontificating and how much that can actually achieve in such a short period. You also learn how much a plan/idea changes as a result of actually implementing/ testing it. or at least that's what I learnt at a startupcamp.

Geoff.