I think if you're non-technical and you use odesk or elance, then
you'll most likely end up disappointed. But you're right about the
commitment.

My suggestion for testing a new idea if you're non-tech is to do
manual testing of the idea. Run it with wordpress, google ads, paypal
accounts, manual emails - whatever you can control until you actually
know what to build - and more importantly, if you should build it at
all. You might also be in a good position to convince a technical
person to join, as you have some evidence, not just an idea and a few
mock ups (which is what I used to do...)

I'm serious about this, you can test a lot of businesses without any
tech. To begin with the important thing is flexibility and speed of
learning. Once you get it right, then it's about automation, features
and scalability. Read about the story of Aardvark. Phil likes to call
it the Wizard of Oz approach (which I think he borrowed from Andrew
Jessup who borrowed it from...
http://www.pollenizer.com/what-high-technology-startups-can-learn-from-the-wizard-of-oz/)

Tech, non-tech, old, young, male, female, - just get out there and
keep doing it until you succeed. No excuses.

Mick "Manuel" Liubinskas