Getting to build a database back-end using alternate technologies, is
not quite what I meant by 'interesting', but different strokes for
different folks.

On Apr 7, 2:20 am, pcoll...@cpan.org wrote:
> I'm finding this thread quite amusing and for some reason it is annoying me.

That's a shame; amused Olympian detachment and peevishness are hard to
juggle. :-)

> I haven't put my finger on why that is yet. I think perhaps it is the
> tendency for many people on this list to put "programmers" on a pedestal.

Programmers aren't the only ones on a pedestal here. It's true that
most tech people won't one day be Mark Zuckerberg*. But most of these
lovelorn ("desperately seeking technical cofounder to build 'It's X,
only for Y!' startup") non-tech cofounders aren't going to wake up one
day as Steve Jobs either, so I guess it comes out even.

But you do make some valid points, and I think that people are
conflating two different things here - one is a legitimate need for a
technical cofounder (who would fit your CTO-type description very
well) and the other is the desire to get someone to do a 'pile of work
for free'. Thus the rather confused emphasis on programmers.

Personally, I think just as "Every Marine is a rifleman", everyone in
the technical side of a small computing tech startup hierarchy should
be able to write code (or otherwise do what the startup is about, ie.
a hardware startup would want hardware-capable people), and I can
think of a lot more Really Big Startups with detail-oriented CEO or
CTO types who could do the work themselves than I can think of ones
where the CEO/CTO had a 'sorta kinda' passing familiarity with what
the company did: to wit, Intel, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft,
Oracle, Sun, MIPS, etc. Those looking to flip a "It's X for Y" startup
at the top of the hype cycle might not be very interested in these
kind of companies, of course.

Geoff.

* Or perhaps more germanely for those not forced to choose role models
from 'The Social Network', Gates/Ellison/Brin/Woz/Thompson/Knuth/
Dijkstra/..., depending on your aspirations.