All they are stealing is the idea - and idea's aren't worth anything - so
there's no harm. Right? I'm obviously being antagonistic here.

We all recognise that this isn't something new to Airbnb, nor to web based
companies as a category. Competition is generally accepted as a good thing.
Intellectual property and trade practice law is hopefully there to make sure
that the threat of it doesn't outweigh the incentive to innovate.

With specific regard to the 'copy overseas hoping to be bought out approach'
- you could argue that it is a win / win result. The buyout only happens if
the buyer thinks it will be profitable. Consumers get to start using a
service earlier. The seller makes money in return for meeting a consumer
demand that nobody else has yet met.

Just one point of view. Sorry, if some of this has already been said. I
wrote this thread post two days ago but it bounced at the time.