I may be misinterpreting the way the R&D tax credits work, but from what I
understand the ability of any particular government bureaucrat is irrelevant
to the way this money is being 'distributed'. The theory with this system is
that it will encourage private enterprise to invest in R&D ventures that
THEY decide have potential.

Did I miss something?