Hi Simran,
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM, simran <sim...@dn.gs> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Varun Prakash
> <varunprakas...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I don't intend to be personal here, but, I've heard this from most of the
>> people who've been to India for a few years. You've got to understand why
>> it is the way it is in India. Just coming across facts that everyone knows
>> doesn't help you know :)
>

> In my case, i speak from personal experience... they were not FOAF or
> friend stories, rather every point (without exception) that i mentioned was
> one of personal experience... of course, a lot around me quantified and
> qualified it with their own experiences...

In that case, I see that you've not had a very good experience there.
Everyone has good and bad experiences everywhere and I think what's
utimately important is its ratio. I am not saying India is the best place
on the planet, but, it's not as shantaram-ic as you've put it.

> As an entrepreneur, may be you are trying to solve a few problems which
>> you've enlisted below. What is essential in this group is what we can learn
>> from India and not the state of affairs which is very well known.
>>

> Well... my email was in response to David's... it was not a random rant :)
> As an entrepreneur the facts are very important... and i suspect there are
> at least two facets about india (or any other place) we are interested
> in... what we can learn from that place, and what we can do to succeed in
> that place...
>
> I agree it was in response to David's email. Yes, facts are very
important, the correct ones are the most important. Yes, thats what I was
getting to, there are multiple facets about any place. I do understand that
whatever you've said is your experience in India.

No doubt there are a few entrepreneur's looking at expanding into india...
> it is one of the world's fastest growing economies, and anecdotal evidence
> helps people make smarter decisions... especially when it comes in the
> context of particular conversations / environments...
>

>> Also, you've got to get your facts right before coming up with statements
>> like "lack of family ethics and most personal lives there".
>>

> What makes you think my facts are wrong? Newly rich indian's (including
> the middle class) are taking to alcohol, materialism, abuse and adult
> services to new levels (not saying they are are, but yes, generalising, the
> rate of increase of the aforementioned has exponentially increased in the
> past decade), and as within any context, diversity produces brilliance as
> well, as we have seen in some of the mad scientists and other genius that
> have come from there.
> Again, my points were all from vast personal experiences, where i saw many
> families crumble (then some stitched together), abuse, alcoholism (which is
> unfortunately considered so cool, the newly rich to super rich consider it
> "super cool" to be smashed drunk every single night!), and shows of
> extragavance that leave the mind boggling (in one wedding for example - a 7
> day affair, approx AUD $2 million was spent and the work was done mostly by
> adult labour getting $1.50 per day and lots of child labour getting $1 for
> a days work!

Moderation and education is important. I don't see alcohol as a problem.
It's like saying knife is dangerous, ofcourse it, if one doesn't know how
to use it. I come from a middle class family, none of what you've listed
excites me. I am not an exception, lots of people I know are like this and
will continue to be like this. So, it depends on how you look at it all.
Overall there are a lot of problems which need to be solved, I do agree
with that.

> Let me relate it back though... most of those workers have mobile
> phones... and here's a thought... days of our lives was very popular in
> india bout 10 years ago... and the reason it was one of the best things to
> have happened is that the "lower income class" used to watch people
> demanding good hospital treatment... they started following what was done
> in the soaps and refused to put up with abuse in many hospitals... imagine,
> TV as a tool for education on rights via days of our lives!!!!! who would
> have thought :)

I do not know how this days of our lives was beneficial, I highly doubt if
"lower income class" even had TV at their homes, for that matter, even
electricity.

> Similarly, now there are about 600 million mobile phones in India...
> coming up with a scheme where education can be delivered to them on their
> rights or other types of education... imagine, perhaps those children
> working at that wedding, tweeting... so it's not a lone voice of a
> "righteous" person... but the voice of the people themselves that gets to a
> larger audience... now that's worth innovating for... (egypt anyone... i'm
> not a huge fan of facebook... but it is unarguable that it has facilitated
> communication in some revolutions)... surely with the right inventor
> / entrepreneur that many phones in the hands of the masses is an
> opportunity :)
>
> Thinking aloud again... there is a lot of charity work that goes on in all
> parts of the world... are charities doing anything innovative using the web
> or in particular mobile (now with gps, camera's etc) to curb the rates of
> kidnapping, slavery, and other forms of injustice...

Nice ideas though.