Just chipping in to echo Ryan's point - while over time a community is
forming around Kickstarter and similar sites, that's not really how
projects get funded - they succeed because the entrepreneur(s) behind it
convene a specific community in support of that initiative. If you're
selected as a feature campaign (which gets less and less likely as
Kickstarter gets bigger) that certainly gives a boost but that would only
ever happen once you had already achieved momentum.

As evidence of this, 80% of all funds pledges on Kickstarter were from
people who have only ever pledged to a single projects. This figure will
drop over time as more of us come into contact with more and more projects,
but the point is, people are mostly draw to a specific project page, and
mostly thanks to the efforts of the entrepreneurs mobilizing their
community, generating media attention, etc. You can also see this in the
30% of Kickstarter campaigns that receive zero donations, not a single one,
and this despite Kickstarter being very selective and only taking about 40%
of submissions. The people behind these failed projects clearly thought it
was all about Kickstarter, when in fact it's almost all about you and your
idea.

We see this also on StartSomeGood.com, which is a Kickstarter-like platform
for social change projects. People think their idea is so important and so
profound that the internet will shower them with money, but it doesn't
happen that way, it always takes hustle, just as Ryan said. Our biggest
campaign to
date<http://startsomegood.com/Venture/do_good_bus/Campaigns/Show/Do%20Good%20Bus%20Tour%20with%20Foster%20The%20People>,
which raised over $100,000 (we're much newer than Kickstarter!) had amazing
rewards, but they also really worked their music industry and media
connections and worked constantly through their social media channels.

And as is true for all fundraising, it helps enormously to have a community
around you already. Asking for money isn't the best way to make new
friends. Double Fine have enormous credibility, huge reach, great rewards
at a good price ($15 for a new game) and a professional team behind their
video and promotions efforts.

It's exciting what's possible when you inspire your community and invite
them to be part of creating something.

Cheers!

Tom
Co-founder
StartSomeGood.com

PS: Shit Social Entrepreneurs Say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVydeSlexqI

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Ryan Wardell <r...@projectpowerup.com>wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Kickstarter et al provide bugger-all in terms of marketing support. A lot
> of people think that if you put a project on Kickstarter then it will
> generate some traffic. So an extent it's true - but according to most of
> the entrepreneurs I spoke to who successfully raised funding on there, the
> amount of traffic Kickstarter provides is less than 10% of total pledges.
> Don't forget, Kickstarter is adding about 100 new projects a day at the
> moment, so your project gets buried pretty quickly.
>
> So it's up to the individual project creator to do most of the legwork.
>
> Anyway, to answer your question about Double-Fine:
>
> 1 - The creators have a solid track record producing classic adventure
> games in the 90s with a massive cult following
>
> 2 - They got a lot of retweets from other game developers on Twitter
> considering crowdfunding as an option - and these guys have hundreds of
> thousands of followers, all of whom are enthusiastic game fans.
>
> If you want to be successful on a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter or
> Pozible or Project PowerUp for that matter, it's a matter of having cool
> rewards, a good video that shows off the product, and hustling the hell out
> of it.
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ryan Wardell
>
> CEO & Founder - Project PowerUp
>
> (W) projectpowerup.com <http://www.projectpowerup.com/>
>
> (E) r...@projectpowerup.com
>
> (M) 0424 591 796
>

> [image: Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/ProjectPowerUp> [image:
> Twitter] <http://twitter.com/#%21/ProjectPowerUp> [image:
> LinkedIn]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/2282351>
>  Get a signature like this.
> <http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=20&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_20>
>  CLICK
> HERE.<http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=20&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_20>
>

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Jason Held <jheld6...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious how much marketing support Kickstarter and similar sites
>> (i.e., RocketHub, Pozible etc) give for their projects.
>>
>> I can understand how you can get some benefit from going with a host
>> with high hit rates, but to get these kind of numbers you need either
>> a superbly viral production and/or mature marketing machine.
>> Double-Fine's video is really cool and professionally made.  The
>> concept sounds fun and creative, but it's (and I'm not bagging Double-
>> Fine here, congrats to em) just an adventure point & click game.
>>
>> Or am I missing something?  Lets say you already have the latter (a
>> kick-ass idea that can go viral, and a solid marketing machine).  How
>> much of an advantage would you have by going with Kickstarter instead
> [...]

Tom Dawkins
Co-Founder
StartSomeGood.com
@tomjd <http://www.twitter.com/tomjd>
www.about.me/tomjd
To organize a meeting: tungle.me/tomjd
"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision." - Faithless