Hi Fergus,

Comp Sci, Comp Eng & Software Eng are all great courses to learn how to
code. I have even met some pretty good Elec Eng coders!

My background is Software Engineering from UNSW school of Computer Science
and Engineering. My experience of the school and having been out
interviewing many many candidates at a commercial level is that it is one
of (if not) the best in the country.

The course work will push you pretty hard, and I have heard many students
compare the tutorials to assignments at other Universities. It has been a
while since I have been back, but the lecturers back in my day were pretty
good too.

The school teaches you at a very theoretical level, which has its
downsides, but ultimately will provide you the necessary know how to
compete in the ever fast paced, fast changing IT start up world.

Ultimately, University will put in as much as you are willing and capable
to absorb. So whichever Uni you attend, soak it all up, and when you come
out, you'll be thinking fresh and new unlike many others in the industry
stuck in their old ways... Then do a kick arse start up, or else knock on
one of the start up doors who are always seeking for top notch talent!

--
Best regards,
Alwin Chin