Hi Fergus,

I think the Computer Engineering course at UNSW is fantastic... some of the
lecturers there are world leaders in their fields of expertise. Computer
science is also a fantastic course from the perspective of that you get a
bit more "freedom" to do unrelated subjects. From memory, in Computer
science you had to do 9 computing subjects (and related maths subjects) and
6 others ... the others could be "anything" - from french to philosophy
to... i found that gave me at least a good perspective on life that i
brought back into programming.

Doing a degree course is in my opinion very important as it gives you the
opportunity to get a sound base and an appreciation for all aspects of what
goes on in a program (eg. you might never have to worry about semaphores,
but it's important to know they exist and what they do and the basis behind
them)... there are too many "tinkerers" that make things work, but
inevitably they create a mess resulting in much much higher operational and
maintenance cost.

I worked with a few people that were "senior developers"... and one in
particular, when he could not work out why a cookie was not being set,
asked me for help. I said, have a look at the headers being sent/received
by the browser/server... and he had no idea how to go about that or even
what the headers would contain (and he was a senior web developer!!!)... he
learned tools to get a job done, but did not understand the base of how
things worked.... that scares me to hell!!!!!! A uni degree in my opinion
gives you the a good environment for an understanding of the underlying
principles...

If you are interesting in programming mainly, my recommendation... do
computer science and take electives in other interest areas (including
business) that give you:
* solid grounding in programming
* well rounded education into areas you are interested in
* let you do interesting subjects (that are unrelated) and create sparks of
brilliance in every field using your core understanding of computers in the
vertical of your choice...

And where should one do the course... UNSW :) (yes, i'm biased... but i
went there, and can't praise the lecturers and their genuine interest
enough... many of whom are still there teaching :)

s :)