I think this research is great! I've spent a bit of time across hubs over
the past few years and think it's fairly accurate although I am surprised
at the relatively-low Oz rankings. I think part of it is we have a
crazily-blossoming 'scene' but not really a proper 'community' yet. This
post offers a bit of insight of where I'm going with this
--> http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/10/startup-genome-compares-top-startup-hubs/

These comments from HN: 'Best Startup City - Outside the USA?' are also
worth the read --> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1565375

If Australia was more centrally location, had a larger market and wasn't
ridiculously expensive at the moment, we'd see a bigger influx of people
coming to startup here in the same way Berlin and SFBA attracts outside
talent. Comments seem to be cropping up recently that allude Oz only being
a considerable destination for larger startups looking to follow through on
English-language based expansion and localisation (Yelp, Eventbrite, etc.
are all opening AU offices now).