Clearly founders need to be paid, and investors understand that founders
also need to live (and don't want them to be worrying about how to pay the
rent or the mortgage). It would be unusual for a real angel investment to
be made and the founder(s) to not take wages. Some founders also choose to
take low wages and leverage their performance to show a strong alignment
with investors, and I've seen this more where the founder hasn't put any
money into the business.

This article has some interesting figures in it:
http://www.startupsmart.com.au/growth/business-advice-and-education/how-much-start-up-founders-pay-themselves/2014011611507.html

It is related to the article posted above by Melissa.

Clearly the salary you need will depend on your lifestyle. However, angel
investors don't want to hear that you "need" to pay yourself $100k or $150k
pa because you "have a big mortgage and have kids in private school" (and
you may be surprised, because a number of entrepreneurs pitching to angels
do say that).

Regards
Adrian