From: silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com
[mailto:silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Sam Thorp
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 12:57 AM
To: silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [SiliconBeach] Superannuation when becoming a US Citizen

There's a lot more to it, obviously. The US system relies on employer-sponsored
pension schemes, which are chronically underfunded and have their own host of
special problems. The US doesn't have 'optional' superannuation - it just
places the burden on the employer, rather than you. In both cases, the
government is trying to minimise the liability from people getting to
retirement without any money and having to rely on government pensions (as both
the USA and Australia have a safety net for the old and broke). This is itself
a simplification - there's been a lot of change in the last decade or two, with
employers moving towards defined contribution schemes. The Australian system is
(as with many aspects of our government) a midpoint between the USA and the
Nordic countries compulsory state pensions (there, your employer pays 30% of
your income [not including your own personal taxes!] to the government.
Everyone then gets a comfortable pension for life after they retire, regardless
of savings).

Also, on a personal note, holy crap I would never invest my retirement savings
in my own business. With the failure rates on small businesses as high as they
are, the risk of you losing everything is immense. I mean, I understand being
confident in your abilities, but statements like that are exactly why the
government locks the money away - to prevent people spending it on high-risk
ventures that are likely to completely wipe out all of their savings and leave
them destitute.

On 4 March 2015 at 16:42, Geoff McQueen | AffinityLive