Good point Mike, although if i may, i'll give a slightly different
perspective (not referring to *any* of the earlier posts or with reference
to any person - my comment is solely a response to your statement):

Encouragement is perhaps equally valuable if not more. Hearing an opinion
from anyone (and it is just an opinion albeit, sometimes based in more
experience) can be really valuable, it's always worth considering and then
discarding if need be... but if it comes from a really negative place
(egotistical, know-it-all, you have no idea, i'm the king of the world
types) then it's not even considered - and the person giving it has wasted
his time and the other person's time.

It's *always* worth trying to understand the context the question is coming
from, and then responding in a way that can be understood.

If after all, we *only cared* about "hard facts as we see them" (according
to our experience) - then each schoolteacher would be yelling at every
school kid all day... and i for one don't think that would produce good
results :)

On a separate note, i think we can learn a HUGE amount from dog trainers...
you'll be amazed at how totally *positive* driven training is... it's got
there as positivity bought forth much better results... i think we can
learn a lot from that.

Having said that, absolutely, one needs to give their opinion, factually,
unmasked and as they see it, but it *is possible* to do it without yelling
/ screaming as that usually never gets the point across... :)