From: silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com
[mailto:silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Blaze
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 5:36 AM
To: Silicon Beach Australia
Subject: [SiliconBeach] Re: Sydney to Melbourne.. because of the anti
fun/creative/free spirit laws

As someone who is somewhat of a tech entrepreneur and also has worked in the
music industry, being based in Sydney for the last 6 years I definitely have
some thoughts on this subject. The lockout laws are awful and certainly stifle
the creative lifeblood of the city. I'm not sure if they are just temporary -
they will be around as long as Mike Baird and the current form of local and
state government is standing. They have bulldozed the entire nightlife scene
and now Sydney is becoming an international joke. If anyone is interested in
further reading I have found some articles recently that illuminate the subject
better than I could, just let me know. To answer your question, I'm not sure
many companies will up and move just because of this but it certainly might
play into the decision.

Personally, being a bit of a digital nomad, I can live anywhere. But the
lockout laws and rising costs of Sydney life definitely sealed the deal for me
when my partner got an option to continue her career in Perth. There wasn't
even any thought, we moved within 6 weeks. I'm personally looking forward to
getting a 3-4 bedroom house with NBN, 15 minutes from the city, in a place
where they are extending their lockout laws (Perth recently extended hours for
Sunday sessions). The price for this house? Yeah, probably the same as a studio
apartment (aka a shoebox) in Sydney. I've only been here a few days but the
lifestyle seems pretty good, beautiful beaches, still a pretty vivid nightlife
scene, cheaper rent and living but most importantly: a government that does not
wish to micromanage it's citizens quite so much. I'd say there are a lot of
opportunities over here and in other cities due to the NBN and many of my
Sydney friends in music have already started lamenting about moving to
Melbourne. I may end up there one day but Perth it is for now. :)

Blaze