There's an argument (which I tend to favor) which postulates that the
global increase in stock-exchange value has been due to the hidden transfer
of wealth from the intangible space (environment/social) into private
hands. Thus the boom in Walmart et al in 80s+ and social networking
(Facebook etc) has been actually a net erosion due to pollution in China
and loss of social capital. Real underlying productivity, the true source
of wealth, has been slower to increase though automation of logistics, and
elimination of many transactional middlemen has been a good start. Privacy
has been one of the victims as a lot of Silicon Valley consumer facing
brands have trolled the worlds networks harvesting information. A lot of it
is statistical but most marketeers want specific soft targets (much like
addictive advertising is around clubs or caloric stuffing (sugar) in
schools. Cambridge Analytics is only the most visible sign but
fundamentally it comes down to is your social/purchasing activity a public
space or corporate town? Obviously SV have done their homework and figured
out give $XXX in software freebies/features to sell $$$Y of targets
justifies the occasional outrage. The IPrightists would say the solution is
to create strong individual privacy rights backed by law but the problem is
as always, enforcement. Its like who "owns" the (digital) footprints one
leaves behind, the people who cast the concrete or should there be strong
prohibitions against long-term retention (right to forget, etc). Facebook
fatigue (where people abandon the endless cycles of updates/follows) is
just a symptom that technology has exhausted our human capacity ... I don't
think software is the solution because social habits don't change easily
(the last big one was the Pill in 60s). The internet is a double-edged
sword in allowing narrow special interest groups to find each other
(reduced search costs) but also power to concentrate (economics of network
effects). I suspect the long-term solution is to migrate away from the
capital structure of the firm (with its profit maximisation maxim) towards
more emphatic and responsive structures (coops / holonarchies?)

Lawrence