>But maybe more usefully, here is a question we really should be asking,
and which this forum used to answer. What’s lacking in the Australian tech
industry these days?

Apart from all the standard whinges about clueless moneymen and myoptic
gov, I'd say that too many capable people are working in industry (stable
career path) so have no time to do interesting side projects which could
morph into new businesses. Given current tax policies and exit outcomes,
they'd rather stay in their nice comfy day job than take the plunge. I
refer to San Diego whose defense sector got downsided after the US won Cold
War and then pivoted to biotech.

whilst at other end, the capacity (spare time, energy, etc) has been overly
concentrated on Y-combo style accelerators which are incredibly raw in
terms of intake ... ignorance can be fixed but stupidity is forever in
asking Australians to follow a US model without a) appropriate capital
formation b) shortage of high quality mentors and c) more tech follower
adoption/adaption rather than originating/disruptive leader (in terms of
technical risk .... asking for prototypes and traction before looksee).

Let's compare with China, JackMa & AliBaba started off in a few apartments
in Hangzhou, DJE was a kid (relatively speaking) that took the plunge to
visit Shenzhen, Xiaomei started off doing shanzai manufacturing of
short-run phones. They played to their strengths whereas IMHO australia
emerging tech is not. The very fact of relative lack of capital means that
they are customer & cashflow focused and due to cost structure wins the
marathon race acquiring western tech along the way.