On 29/06/06 13:07 +0200, Rishab Aiyer Ghosh wrote:
> private railways in switzerland account for about 15% of passenger
> transport, often run today by local public authorities. most of the
> impressive swiss railway network is owned and operated by the federal
> railways (SBB), actually one of the few things in switzerland that is
> state-owned.
>
> the quality of transport, like anything else, is often a function of price.
> i doubt that any mumbai railway, public or private, could offer anything
> remotely approaching swiss levels of service without swiss prices.
> geneva-lausanne, 60 km, is 20 francs (Rs 750). a local bus ticket in geneva
> for a 2 km journey (publicly owned, but still an indication of price!) is 3
> chf (Rs 110).
>
> what's the price of similar journeys on the mumbai rail?

Churchgate - Virar (59.something km) was INR 18 or 20, last I remember.
Churchgate - Kandivili (about 33 km) is 8 INR one way. Bus fares are far
higher (4 INR for a minimum of 3 km or so, going to 3 or 4x rail fares
for the same distance).

Rishab, could we actually compare based on PPP (or as a fraction of
income?) as well? At 750 INR for 60 km, it would actually be cheaper to
drive (or go by bus).

Devdas Bhagat