On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:21:58AM +0100, Ashish Gulhati wrote:

> Of-course, you wouldn't actually want to implement flying car
> traffic this way. I'm just trying to illustrate using familiar metaphors
> how having freedom of movement in 3D makes it easier to design
> systems to avoid collisions.

The problem with with current traffic dispatching is that they're
defining 1d lanes in a 3d space, artificially concentrating
traffic within narrow virtual channels. This is good for central
traffic coordination, but is prone to catastrophic failures due
to human error. A flock approach would create an autonomous
traffic control node on board of every aircraft. The aircraft
is equipped with a survival instinct, which is weeding out
the set of flight trajectories which would lead to collisions
in near future (mostly, Newtonian mechanics), and with
bidirectional communication to nearby such nodes (other aircraft
and on-ground nodes). The user interface to it needs to be very
limited (most of helicopter crashes are pilot error), such as
setting destination, adding wishes to a route, and some limited
in-flight interaction by means a 6DOF input device. Of course
you also need a manual override, but logged and notified,
so abuse (not an emergency) can be penalized.