On 17/Oct/2006, at 3:01 PM, Srini RamaKrishnan wrote:

Not knowing enough to have an independent opinion on the matter, and not having the copious free time to read your forward, I ask, was he guilty of the bombings?

If he was not, or if there is a popular body of opinion that believes he was not, then I can understand the need for all this clamor.

Afzal was not on the scene of the crime -- all the terrorists there were killed. He was caught because his phone number was on one of the phones retrieved from their bodies. The Supreme Court has noted that there is no direct evidence of his involvement. The evidence was mainly circumstantial. Despite this, they note that "The incident, which resulted in heavy casualties, had shaken the entire nation and the collective conscience of the society will only be satisfied if capital punishment is awarded to the offender." As per the POTA, under which he was booked, abetting a crime does not attract the death penalty. That he was awarded the sentence on such flimsy evidence is particularly rankling.

The SC has also issued a public statement that they have the right to review a Presidential pardon, should one be forthcoming.

Afzal was a surrendered terrorist from the JKLF. It is alleged that he was made an STF pawn and the real reason for rushing his execution is to cover up Indian military atrocities in Kashmir. This isn't a case of the intelligentsia preening their feathers. There have been riots on the streets of Kashmir protesting the sentence. (The Hindu carried pictures on their front page, but I can't find that story right now.)

I first heard the phrase "India Occupied Kashmir" from a resident of Jammu. It's a sentiment I've heard repeatedly from people who hail from the region, or who've spent time there.

Surely one can't be so naive as to believe Pakistan is the only antagonist in Kashmir?

--
Kiran Jonnalagadda
http://jace.seacrow.com/