On 10/18/06, Udhay Shankar N <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years'
> > time
>
> > Racial differences will be ironed
> > out by interbreeding, producing a uniform race of
> > coffee-coloured people.
>
>ROTFL
>
>The article contradicts itself.

While I am not very impressed with the article either, race is not
the same as species. So the above does not necessarily imply a contradiction.

The problem with the racial-mixing theory is that it requires
considerable mass-migration in order to make it work.  We're just not
seeing that in real life.  In fact, technology is making it easier for
people to STAY put, while at the same time reducing CULTURAL
differences between distant peoples.

Saying that mankind could evolve into two distinct species in as
little as the next thousand years is ALSO a stretch.  It ignores the
fact that wealthy people with good education and medical care are
having FEWER children, such that new supplies of genetic material for
future generations of wealthy will have to come from the ranks of
poorer people with less educations and medical care.

The author is writing, much as H.G. Wells did, from that standpoint of
the highly-stratified English class structure, and presuming that the
classes are fixed and immobile, and don't intermingle. While this may
be true of England, and might be true in other places across the
globe, it's far from being UNIVERSALLY true.

But the thing that gets me is what is an evolutionary theorist doing
in a school of ECONOMICS?  That part simply doesn't compute.

While I find the article amusing, I don't see it as being a plausible
future scenario.

--Brian