On 04/01/07 17:07 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
<snip>
> > a lot of windows pc users find themselves doing that without their
> > knowledge .. only, those are smtp engines controled by botnets
>
> Of course -- but they're hammering each ISPs central mail servers.

Only if the ISP blocks port 25. If not, the zombie does direct to MX.
This has direct cost implications for the recipient domain. Now consider
a popular domain with a large number of users (AOL, Yahoo!, Hotmail,
etc), and figure out the administrative costs to maintain that
infrastructure.

> Why are these ISPs setting themselves up that way? As a zombie
> in a dynamic range I have no accountability. As a static IP user
> who has to run all his infrastructure from it (virtual servers are

So you mean, you would rather have an ISP which only provides basic
connectivity, and nothing else? Sadly, most ISPs disagree. My current
ISP does do the one IP per customer, but their service sucks in many
other ways (I don't have anyone better at the moment).

> cheap) I will notice very quickly when my IP has become tainted,
> due to my machine become zombied. The user reaction is -- "this doesn't
> work, let's call tech support". In fact, tech support can query

Or "This doesn't work, lets change ISP". Lets face it, the current ISP
model is seriously broken. Now, do you have useful suggestions for
improving that, in a market driven purely by pricing? I am seriously
interested.

> RBL proactively, and link trouble to a single customer, and
> contact the customer or suspend him from the network.
>
> > > One customer, one IP (if there's not enough, here's a major incentive
> > > to move to IPv6), one firewall, one filter. If they want a cheap and dumb
> > > solution
> >
> > Ha ha.  Ever give Wile E Coyote all the Acme gear he wants and set him
> > to catch the roadrunner?  Or given a grand prix class moto to a kid
> > who's just off his tricycle?
>
> If you sell a virtual server with a static IP for each customer,

Oh, but what happens when the customer doesn't WANT to do the
administration? And would rather outsource all that, and head to the
cheapest provider?

> the customer doesn't even know it, and you're spending a few 10 MByte
> extra and a few seconds extra machine runtime for each new setup.

2^32 = 4294967296 IPv4 IPs. Not enough to make it one per email address.

IPv6 is nice, but that pressure is going to have to come from really large
providers who need to stop providing IPv4 transit.

Devdas Bhagat