On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 03:35:38PM +0530, Aditya Kapil wrote:

> But don't most pharma companies now use rational drug design based on
> crystal structures. I realise that RDD is not perfect and will probably not

Most pharma companies do many things, rational design included.
Most pharma companies are also in dire straits, because they can't
match the rate of getting drugs to markets in order to remain
in positive cash-flow long-term. The bottleneck are typically later
stages, most very promising leads wind up duds in animal, or even
human testing.

> replace wet-lab efforts but aren't IT algorithms getting better.

Computational drug design suffered a huge backlash after overpromising
and hugely underdelivering. Ditto happened to virtual screening, and
even to real high-diversity synthetic libraries.

Basically, you have to have force fields good enough and fast enough
so that you could model anything happening in vivo very exactly.
We can't do that, in fact, we can't even fold proteins in machina
properly.

This is not a natural law, and will be fixed at some point.
But that requires huge R&D, and the field isn't all that attractive
to warrant that expediture.

> 5-6 years ago there were about 500 crystal structures available after
> decades of study but within the last few years this number has risen 10
> fold. Why is this?

Because robotics has entered structure resolution, which hitherto was
manual (black) art.

> Also most libraries (combinatorial or otherwise) are against 'older' drug
> targets that are functionally validated but not necessarily best in terms of
> safety or efficacy profiles. Will the newer, subtler targets being
> discovered now not necessitate structurally diverse classes of inhibitors?

If you have your ion channel overexpressed, and can screen your libraries
against it in person, this is way more worth than having a structure, even
a very good structure.