--- Biju Chacko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For some odd reason, I am intimidated by people
> who manage to master
> both medicine and programming.
<snip>
> I wonder why?

I have come across that sentiment in India but
not in the US. Possibly related to the perception
in India that if you are "good in biology" you go
into medicine and if "you are good in math" you
go into engineering and the two are mutually
exclusive. In the US most people entering medical
school have already done a Bachelors sometimes in
engineering, economics, mathematics or another
medically "unrelated" field.

I found medicine initially intimidating because
of the vast amount of information thrown at you;
however there are few, if any, deep truths,
insights or fundamental principles running
through clinical medicine. On the other hand when
I tried my hand at programming it seemed very
simple and straight-forward. It took me several
years of formal training to realize that the crux
of programming lies in control of complexity
which by no means is a trivial task.

Shyam