> (You know the funny thing - the toughies - the armtwisters like DFID (UK),
> USAID etc have been asked to stick - which the smaller ones - who hardly
> make any demands and are more likely to be working on natural resources
> management, gender, etc like Swiss Dev Corporation, DANIDA, etc have been
> asked to pack up in two years. )

That is indeed discriminatory.  Everyone should be sent home.

Oh nooooo....with so many of our politicians stashing money away
abroad, *I* say, let's use the money, wherever it comes from, and try
to utilize it a little better...having worked with some "social work"
NGO's I do realize the volumes of money available, and also sadly, the
amounts that get siphoned off....at one point, I met an IAS officer of
the Bihar cadre who told me that a Bihari bride need not bring any
"dowry"...she just needed to have a family which ran a few NGO's,
particularly in the murkiest corners of that hapless State!

Deepa.

On 3/13/07, ashok _ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 3/13/07, Neha Viswanathan  wrote:
> Or are you strictly referring to bilateral/ multilateral aid?

Primarily, I mean this....

> You say foreign aid in any form - what about - contributions from
> individuals of another nationality?

Even this....

I agree there a bunch of people, who know and understand where the
money is going to and how it is going to be spent.....

but from my experience, they are outnumbered by the sheer volume of
people who do things like remote-fire-and-forget adoptions  /
by-the-orphan-in-vietnam-a-bicycle donation, or  dial into the 0800
number flashed on television to save the children ... these people are
either doing this out of pity, or to make themselves feel better.

>What about contributions from say the
> Indian Diaspora in the UK?

Maybe i am not fundamentally opposed to this.  A lot of such
contributions i believe are towards their communities back home, small
towns where they came from, or their distant relatives families
etc....