On 13/03/07 09:24 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snip>
>    That's fair.
>    There is a small cost of your time to talk to me out of the blue.
>
>    If it's not worth it to you, clearly your communication to
>    me must not have been very important to you.

You are assuming that all communication purporting from Eugen is
actually from Eugen.

CRAP is spam, whatever you choose to term it as. It works for mailing
list subscriptions because you expect to receive a fairly high volume of
email from the list, and the list is not a human being.

<snip>
>    However, at that point the sender would be confirming
>    my suspicion they didn't really want to talk with me,
>    and our entire relationship (or our potential for a
>    relationship) was viewed as virtually worthless to
>    begin with!  I'd be delighted to rid myself of such
>    would-be correspondents.

Of course, the problem is a little one of scale. It's 800 bytes from
you. If all of silklist was to do a per-person confirmation, you would
have about 11000*11000 messages flying around this group alone.

Hmmm, my sigmonster seems to have gotten intelligent.

Devdas Bhagat
--
When people say nothing, they don't necessarily mean nothing.