I found that very interesting Binand!

Deepa.

On 4/3/07, Binand Sethumadhavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 03/04/07, Rishab Aiyer Ghosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 06:36 +0200, Binand Sethumadhavan wrote:
> > Exactly. Use the travel sites for fare comparisons, schedules and
> > possible connections, nothing more. Here in Gibraltar, if I take an
>
> how's life there?

In one word, weird :)

It is such a small place (slightly more than 6 sq. km.), with more
cars than people and more pets than children. The town of La Linea in
Spain and Gibraltar are together one metropolitan area; most of the
(European) workforce choose to live in Spain and work in Gibraltar due
to very high property prices here. Getting in is via flights from
London Gatwick (BA) or London Luton (Monarch), and more recently from
Madrid (Iberia), though it might make sense to fly in to the far
better connected Malaga airport and driving down the last 120km.

There are several squabbles with Spain, some of which were addressed
in the Cordoba agreement of October 06. So, now we have flights to
Madrid, mobile roaming with Spanish carriers, international acceptance
of our +350 IDD code (earlier from some countries, you had to dial +34
9567 to get a Gibraltar number) etc. A major unaddressed issue at the
moment is Gibraltar's entry into the UEFA (which Spain has been
blocking).

Most people here speak both English and Spanish equally fluently. GBP
and EUR are accepted everywhere (at 1.4 EUR to the GBP) - even ATMs
dispense both currencies. Perishables (vegetables, farm produce etc.)
apparently are cheaper in Spain but alcohol, tobacco and fuel are
cheaper in Gibraltar, so residents on either side of the border shop
on both sides. There is hardly any crime - it is probably one of the
safest place to live in the world.

Geographically, it is quite a strategic place since whoever controls
Gibraltar controls access to the Mediterranean Sea and onwards to the
Suez Canal. I am not fully conversant with the history of Gibraltar,
but apparently it was ceded to the UK by Spain in 1713 in the Treaty
of Utrecht, with the condition that Spain will have first claim to the
territory if the UK ever de-colonised it. And that is the single
biggest point of contention between Gibraltar, Spain and the UK at the
moment.

Binand

Binand